Thursday, November 5, 2009

Vosges Haute Chocolate: Mo's Bacon Bar!

One of my friends recently told me about this bacon chocolate bar she had tried.  Huh?  Bacon and chocolate?  I am a big fan of the sweet and salty (or savory) combo, but even this sounded a little out there.  So naturally, I had to try it for myself.  Vosges Haut Chocolate was nice enough to send us some samples of their Mo's Bacon Bar, in both the milk and dark chocolate varieties.  The founder of the company, Katrina Markoff, came up with the idea of integrating bacon and chocolate while eating chocolate chip pancakes and bacon one morning.  She found that the sweetness of the chocolate chips and syrup were perfect in complementing the saltiness of the bacon.

The 3 oz gourmet bars come in a durable, paper container.  Sealed in an aluminum wrapper, the bar is portioned out into smaller pieces, that break off easily.  At first glance, it looked like a regular ole' chocolate bar.  There were no bits of bacon on the outside, but after I took a bite, there it was.  I found that while the bits of bacon were pretty small, they nonetheless packed a good punch.  The applewood smoked bacon is heightened in flavor by alderwood smoked salt.  It's not overpowering, but just right. 



I'm happy to find myself really liking this snack.  It takes a lot of will power to not eat the entire bar in one sitting, it's that good.  The milk chocolate is 45% cacao, while the dark is a good 62%.  Both are equally delicious.  I personally prefer dark chocolate in general anyways, but if you prefer milk, then go for it.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend this gourmet treat for everyone, but especially for the bacon fanatics.